Since 1894 . . . Now That’s a Long Lasting Oil!
1894 George W. Cole, a resident of Asbury Park, New Jersey, compounds a mixture to accomplish three things in connection with the care and maintenance of a bicycle. These are: a lubricant, a rust preventive and a cleaner. The formula results in the famous
1899 The product proves to be an immediate success and the little business grows to such proportions that the company, G.W. Cole, is incorporated under the laws of the state of New Jersey.
1905-1910 The corporate charter is amended and the name of the company is changed from G.W. Cole to
1933 The capital stock of
1936 A.S. Boyle Company, a subsidiary of American Home Products Corporation, purchases the brand from Sterling Products Inc. It is merchandised in small tin cans.
1990 Reckitt & Coleman Plc. through its U.S. subsidiary, Reckitt & Coleman Inc., acquires the Boyle Midway household products division of American Home Products.
1994 To celebrate the product's centennial, this year's packaging design incorporates a black banner at the top front of the can, reading "100 Years - Hundreds of Uses."
1999 A new delivery system, the Telescoping Spout, is added to the product line. Reminiscent of an old-time oilcan, the plastic bottle comes with a five-inch extendable spout designed to get at hard-to-reach places.
2004 Four new high-performance specialty formulas are added to the popular
2007 The Garage Door Lube is added to the